Thursday, May 21, 2009

It FINALLY Arrived!!

OK so it has been forever since I have done a blog post and LOTS has happened in the Vander Griend household. Here's an update on what has happened since the last post:
#1.We passed our home inspection and our house appraised at sale price which essentially means that the sale of our home should go through without a hitch. Our settlement date is July 1st. This was a huge blessing because we were concerned that the appraisal might not go through.
#2. My dad had prostate cancer surgery. We were in town to help out and support him through it. The good news is that not only did his surgery go well, but we just got back the pathology results which indicated that the cancer was confined to the prostate and did not spread. He has a very good prognosis for a full recovery!!
#3. We found a townhome to rent in Oak Park. It is has three bedrooms, three full baths, with living room, dining room and family room. The best part is it is located in a wonderful location right in the heart of downtown Oak Park. We are within walking distance to lovely boutiques, restaurants, great parks, and an amazing library. Oak Park seems like such a wonderful neighborhood with so much to offer. Also it is only a block and a half from the train so Don's commute to work will be shorter.
#4.One year and 7 months later, after three interviews, numerous correspondences, and the most lengthy negotiation process ever; Don finally received his "official" contract for his position at University of Chicago. He is going to be an Assistant Professor of Surgery doing prostate cancer research. He was also given the title of Director of Urological Stem Cell Research. It has been incredible to see his tenacity as he endured through this arduous process (which is why I had to take pictures of him signing his contract-see below). I recently came across a note of encouragement dated 10-23-2007 that I wrote to Don before he went on his first interview at U of C. I have to share an exerpt from it because looking back it is incredible to see God's provision in our lives:

"Dear Don, Remember that God is in control and it isn't yours to win-if we are meant to be at U of C, God will provide that opportunity. Your only job is to do your best. Really be in the moment and appreciate how all those years of hard work have led to this! I am so proud of you!"

I continue to be so proud of him and just had to take time to acknowledge this "moment" in our lives (even though he is going to be so embarrassed when he reads this blog post)





Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Kristin said...

YAY Don...we are so proud of you and thankful that God led the Vander Griend family back to Chicago!

Gibson said...

I am so happy for all of you. Kim, your note to Don was so touching. You all have such an amazing spirit.
Paula

Jenna said...

All such wonderful, wonderful news!!! I REALLY excited for you all!!!!

Susan said...

Your latest post brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for all of you, with all of the very well-deserved things that are coming your way! I wish you the best of luck in Chicago-- I know that Laurie and Craig will miss you terribly, but that they will try to see you whenever they can. I will continues to read your blog, to get news about you and the beautiful Lucy, and I look forward to the news about your new beautiful little girl! Best wishes!!

Emily said...

I also wanted to mention again that Don could get off the green line right at U of C. Bill and I had an argument and I was right...so no walking through Jackson Park. It will make the commute even shorter. I'll be thinking of you tonight--we are taking our neighbor out for her birthday to Chili's in Oak Park. We will be so excited to hang out with you when you get here! And we are also proud of Don and SUPER happy to have you back in Chicago. Also I spent the last minutes on my work phone talking to you this morning Kim. I have been cut off until the beginning of next month. :)

Mandy Kalins said...

So much wonderful news!! I can't wait for you guys to move back to Chicago!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Don! What a cool title! It will be great to have you guys back in town.

Love,
Mary

Running is a Metaphor said...

Congrats on everything you guys!